Our Story

1894

The Associated Charities was formed to oversee charity work and fund collection efforts.

1931

The Sidney Community Chest was formed.

1936

The Triangle Chest was launched as a combined fund drive by the Boys’ Club, the Boy Scouts, and The Salvation Army. Mrs. William Ross, grandmother of brothers Dr. Bill and Dave Ross, was the executive secretary of the Triangle Chest.

1945

Shelby County War and Community Chest was morphed out of The Triangle Chest. H.A. Binkley was the Drive Chairman while Rudy Berg was the Industrial Division Chairman. Marcus Sellers led a volunteer group to complete a “house to house” solicitation of retired persons.

1953

Between 1945 and 1953, the Shelby County War and Community Chest became the Sidney Community Chest. A survey to the community indicated a lack of interest in a joint campaign.

history_1957
history_1963
history_1969

1957

The Shelby County United Fund was established by a powerhouse of community leaders. The Shelby County United Fund’s board president was Jerome Raterman (Monarch Machine Tool), first vice-president was J. Oliver Amos (Amos Press), and second vice-president was Frank Gleason (Copeland Corporation). These men decided what Shelby County needed was a permanent organization with a staff to address Community needs on a regular basis.

1957

First Campaign Chair, H.E. Roth of Sidney Tanning Company. Roth and his campaign team ran the first Sidney United Fund campaign. They raised $70,119.

1957

First Executive Director was Irene Collier. She remained in this position for the next seventeen years. During her tenure, the campaign goal increased from $70,119 to $139,000.

1976

Judy Wagner was Executive Director and Rich Wallace was the Campaign Chair. The campaign topped $200,000 for the first time; reaching $202,000.

1977

Shelby County United Fund became Shelby County United Way in an effort to align with the national organization.

history_1972
history_1973
history_1996

1980’s

Top corporate leadership helped take giving to the next level by increasing giving from $202,000 to $500,000. Bob Cross, vice-president of Copeland Corporation was the Campaign

1980’s cont'd

Manager. Other business leaders involved in the campaign were Dick Pope (Stolle Corporation), Fred Kirk (Kirk NationaLease), Dan Francis (Amos Press), and Paul Boorman (Copeland Corporation).

1988

Judy Wagner retired after an outstanding career of service. During her tenure the campaign grew from $161,300 to $620,000.

1991

Charlotte Rehmert became the Executive Director. Linda Coffman was the Campaign Chair raising $771,051 during an economic downturn which many believed would not allow the Shelby County United Way to reach its’ campaign goal.

1990's

Successful campaigns and good planning allowed the Shelby County United Way to provide startup funding for ‘special projects’ each year.

1990’s

Scott J. Hinsch, Jr., Ralph Keister and others set the stage for the first one million dollar campaign.

1998

Campaign Chair Bruce Boyd and Board President Dale Luebke were able to accomplish the first one million dollar campaign.

2003

Iddy Andrews became the Executive Director. The campaign goal of $1,150,000 was met and exceeded.

2010

Bob Parker became the Executive Director. Under his leadership, the Shelby County United Way moved toward Community Impact Funding. The I.M.P.A.C.T. program, a school based family counseling referral program, was first awarded funding.

2013

Scott Barr became Executive Director.

history_1993
history_1994
history_2011

2015

The Shelby County United Way launched Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.

2016

The Shelby County United Way launched Character Playbook, Building Healthy Relationships.